This is more for dairy free adults, but I had so many positive comments on the pudding I made last Christmas I decided it belongs on the blog. I had never made a pudding before, and made two last year. As I’m not a fan of fruit cake or dried fruit, I haven’t tasted it, but both my parents and my husband are raving about it. I have been told I have the job to make it again this year.
Thanks to Claire’s Mammy Phyllis for the recipe!
225g brown sugar
680g mixed fruit
1 small apple
1 teasp. lemon juice
1 teasp. nutmeg
1 teasp. spice
1/2 glass red rum
bottle stout (optional)
You will need 2 x 2pint pudding bowls with lids. Half the amounts if you just want to make one 2 pint pudding.
1. Cream margarine and sugar.
2. Add beaten eggs.
3. Mix in breadcrumbs, fruit, lemon juice, nutmeg, spice and apple.
4. Add rum and leave overnight.
5. Add stout if using and boil for 6 hours.
6. Store with airtight lid until ready to use.
7. Boil for a further 2 hours on the day you eat it.
Serve with dairy free custard or dairy free ice-cream.