In a follow-up to the Free From Pancakes collaboration last month, I am joining in with the Free From Gang again this month. This time the theme is Free from Baking with Kids for Easter. This was lovely, I actually found I let the kids do most of the work. I was left with the cleanup though, I must work on that one! Here’s our Easter Fairy Cakes which are dairy free and gluten-free if you use Gluten Free Flour.
Easter Fairy Cakes
140g coconut oil, melted
110g caster sugar
100g self-raising flour (Use Free From Fairy Gluten Free Self Raising Flour if you need it to be gluten free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g dairy free chocolate
140g icing sugar
1 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F / Gas5 (180C fan oven). Line a bun tray with paper or silicon cases.
2. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until smooth. We used a hand blender for this. Children can help with all of this, my 8 year old did most of this himself, with brief breaks where I let the 5 year old do some.
3. Using two forks, put the mixture into the bun cases, filling each to about 2/3.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden. You should yield 12-15 buns.
6. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt over a saucepan of boiling water. Pour into chocolate egg mould and leave to set in the fridge or freezer.
To Make Icing:
Beat the margarine until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
Add the rest of the icing sugar and half the water and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
Add more water if necessary.*
Swirl icing over top of buns, or if you make runny icing spoon it. Place a chocolate egg on top of each.
Allow to set and enjoy!
*As you can see from the photos we put in too much water and it turned out more like glace icing. This worked fine anyway but I would have liked to have lovely icing swirls on the buns and place the chocolate eggs on top.
The rest of the Free From Gang have come up with some amazing Easter treats, something for everyone! I have starred the ones below that are dairy free.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.