I was searching for a recipe for dairy free brown bread and was finding it a difficult task I posted on the allergy section of Rollercoaster.ie. A very helpful rollercoaster-er replied back to me with this lovely recipe. I finally got a chance to try it out today and it didn’t disappoint. It is very easy and there were lots of steps which my four year old could help with.
425g brown/ wholemeal flour
40g sesame seeds
40g sunflower seeds
40g pumpkin seeds
15g poppy seeds
2tsp baking powder
1tsp salt (optional)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (170C for fan).
2. Sift flour & baking powder, mix in all seeds.
3. In a jug combine the water & treacle – mix this together as much as possible. Pour into a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and fold in. The mixture should be quite sloppy.
4. Transfer to a greased 2lb loaf tin and bake for 60 minutes (It only took 50 minutes in my fan oven).
5. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
It tasted delicious still warm from the oven spread with butter. I found it very heavy and filling but delicious. My older boy is a fan too.
Update June 2015: I’m resharing this recipe as part of #freefromfridays.