I’ve been making lots of things with rhubarb this month as it is in season. This rhubarb mousse is an old family recipe, my Mum used to make this when we were growing up. The taste of it instantly brought me back to our kitchen in the house I grew up in. It is super simple to make and my boys loved it for Sunday dessert.
You will need:
5-6 stalks rhubarb
2 egg whites
- Wash and chop rhubrab.
- Place the rhubarb with about 100ml water and the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool
- Blend rhubarb in a blender or with a hand-blender.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg into the blended rhubarb.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to set.
- Serve with ice-cream or custard or all on it’s own.
- As this is made with raw egg whites, ensure to keep in the fridge.
If you like this you might like my recipes for classic rhubarb tart and rhubarb and apple crumble.