It’s rhubarb season. There’s plenty to be found in the supermarkets at the moment. My friend Bríd gave me a huge bag of it from her garden so I’ve been busy making all the rhubarb-y things I can think of. Here is my recipe for rhubarb tart.
Recipe: Rhubarb Tart
Ingredients for Filling:
- 5-6 stalks of fresh rhubarb
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 100ml water
- 350g shortcrust pastry (ready to roll or homemade)
Ingredients For pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 100g dairy free margarine
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water
If you are using ready to roll pastry you can skip straight to step 6.
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F /Gas4/ 170C fan oven.
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Cut the margarine into cubes and rub into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water to form a firm dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute.
- Wrap in cling film and chill while you prepare rhubarb.
- Wash rhubarb carefully and chop into 2cm chunks.
- Put in a saucepan with the water and cook for about 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften. Drain well and leave aside.
- On a floured board, halve the pastry and roll out one half.
- Line a greased oven-proof plate or flan dish with pastry. Add in the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle over the sugar. I used 3 tablespoons of sugar and this was fine but a little sour, so add more if you like it sweeter.
- Roll out the other half of the pastry and drape over the top. If using a plate, trim around the edges with a butter knife.
- Press along the edges with a fork to seal it. Pierce the top numberous times with a fork.
- Pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
Serve with your favourite custard or vanilla dairy-free ice-cream.