With the best summer weather in years and years, I’ve hidden away the casserole dishes, I haven’t made my staples of bolognese or stews for what feels like months. I had to put my thinking cap on for some new ideas. We’ve had a few barbeques and I’ve found myself a few new summer dishes. Here are some quick and easy recipes for those sunny evenings eating al fresco.
CHICKEN SHISH KEBABS/ BROCHETTES
My kids love to eat food off a stick, try it, it’ll be a winner!
- red, green, yellow sweet peppers, roughly chopped
- red onion, chopped
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- For the marinade:
- 7tbsp olive oil /rape seed oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar / balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp freshly snipped chives
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, parley, chives, garlic, salt and pepper together or put them all together in a clean jar, put the lid on and shake it to mix.
- Put the diced chicken in a bowl and cover with marinade, cover with plate and put in fridge for at least half an hour.
- Alternate pieces of chopped pepper, red onion and half cherry tomatoes with pieces of chicken until the kebab stick is 2/3 full.
- Put on the barbeque. Check one to ensure chicken is cooked through before serving.
CORN ON THE COB
Nothing complicated here, just wrap some mini corn on the cobs (fresh or frozen) in tin foil and throw on the bbq. You might want to parboil them first if you’re in a hurry as they take a good 20 minutes from frozen.
Sick of green salad? My kids won’t eat lettuce but they love the combination of celery and apple because it is sweet. This one also contains red grapes.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 red apples, cored and chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Lettuce to serve
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce.