I flicked through The Happy Pear cookbook the other day to pick something sweet to make for dessert. I chose the No-bake Healthy brownies as I had all the ingredients. They were a big hit. They are extremely rich and very chocolatey. A small one or half a one is enough of a chocolate hit. They are sugar free, dairy free, egg free, soya free and gluten free if you use gluten free oats.
You will need:
340g pitted dates (Medjool or regular)
110g oats (gluten free if necessary)
90g cacao powder (unsweetened)
1/4 vanilla pod/1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the dates into the food processor and blend until smooth. I used regular dates and needed quite a bit of water to get the right consistency (a nice thick paste). Put the dates aside in a bowl.
- Blend the nuts, almonds, walnuts and oats in the processor until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add in the dates in stages and blend.
- Add in the cacao powder and the vanilla seeds from pod or vanilla extract and blend again. Add some water if necessary.
- Line a flapjack tin with baking paper and pour out the mixture. Press down firmly and roll with a small roller or a glass until smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- These will last up to 10 days in an airtight container in the fridge or up to 1 month in the freezer.