I adapted this from Donal Skehan‘s Super Chocolate Brownie recipe and the dairy free version tastes wonderful in my opinion. They are very rich, maybe too rich for small kids, but I’m not complaining. I will be bringing these to a 4 year old’s birthday party tomorrow so will see what the reaction is.
225g dairy free dark chocolate, broken into pieces
225g dairy free margarine
300g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g plain flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
22 x 30cm (9 x 12in) baking tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Line the baking tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate and margarine in a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir constantly until it is melted and smooth.
- With an electric beater, whisk the sugar and eggs together.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate and butter then add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until thickened.
- Add the sieved flour and baking powder and fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes until the top is firm and the brownies have come away slightly from the sides of the tin.
- Allow to cool, then cut into squares, this makes roughly 25.