I made these for my son’s 7th birthday party recently and everyone loved! They are fairly easy apart from the spiral icing which I hadn’t done before. I’m sure I will get better with practice!
Note: These are ‘may contain milk’ as they contain Mini Oreos which have a ‘may contain milk’ warning.
Delicious Oreo Fairy Cakes with a surprise in the centre! Great for a birthday party! These are ‘may contain milk’ as Oreos carry that warning. All other ingredients are dairy free.
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g margarine
- 25 g cocoa
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 packs of mini Oreos
- Preheat oven to 190C / 180C Fan Oven
- Cream sugar and margarine together until smooth.
- Beat eggs.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa into a separate bowl.
- Add half the eggs and a third of the flour mix into the margarine and sugar and blend together until smooth.
- Add the remaining eggs and some more flour. Blend again.
- Finally, fold in the last of the flour mix and blend until smooth.
- Line muffin tin with bun cases and place a mini oreo in each.
- Spoon the mixture into the bun cases.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire tray.
- Pipe buttercream in a spiral at the top of each cup cake and place a mini Oreo on the top of each.
For the buttercream icing
You will need
- 140g margarine
- 280g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Beat the margarine until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar, vanilla extract and one tablespoon of water and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Add more water if necessary.
Note you can also make smaller mini muffin sized Oreo Cupcakes, same method just use smaller cases and you will yield twice the amount. Reduce baking time to about 10-12 minutes.