Some time ago I reviewed Susan Jane White’s latest recipe book The Virtuous Tart. To say I loved the book is an understatement. My favourite recipe by far that I’ve tried is the lemon shizzle cake, it is delicious and very easy to make! It is dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free! It is oozing with healthy ingredients too! Cake without the guilt! The boys were big fans and I even tested it on some of my co-workers and they liked it too, they couldn’t believe it was refined sugar free. I love lemon based recipes, especially this time of year, there’s something about the delicate flavour that spells Spring in the air!
You will need:
300g ground almonds
3 tablesp raw honey or agave syrup
juice of 1 lemon
6 tablesp coconut oil or macadamia oil
1 teasp baking powder
1 teasp tumeric
1/2 teasp. unrefined salt
For the drizzle:
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablesp light agave syrup or raw honey
- Preheat your oven to 170C 150 Fan 340F.
- Line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth.
- Pour out into the tin and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes taking care to remove before it starts to brown.
- To make the shizzle:
- Warm the lemon juice with the agave or honey over a low heat. Taste and add more sweetener if necessary. Pierce the cake a few times with a fork and pour drizzle over the cake while still warm.
This recipe is by Susan Jane White and appears in her latest cookbook The Virtuous Tart. Reproduced with permission from the publisher Gill & MacMillan. You can buy The Virtuous Tart directly from Gill & MacMillan or from your local book shop or Amazon.co.uk.