Well autumn is in full swing, the nip in the air is there, the leaves are starting to turn, cold mornings, possible hot sun for about 2 hours in the middle of the day and then back to shivering in the evening! This all means it’s time for blackberries! I am lucky enough to live in the countryside and I have blackberries growing all around, even some in my own garden! My boys love getting involved in picking them. We are watching from August to see when they might ripen and there is lots of banter about when they’ll be ripe and that we should only pick the black ones not the red ones etc. I love that the boys act like experts as they remember little things from previous years.
Last year I made jam and blackberry & apple tart! This year I tried something new – blackberry muffins. I took inspiration from Gimme the Recipe’s blueberry muffin recipe which you can find here, and used blackberries instead of blueberries. It worked pretty well, everyone loved them here anyway. These are lovely for the lunchbox as they are not too sweet, and are a great breakfast on the go if you are running late!
Seasonal delicious blackberry muffins, dairy free.
- 250g self raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 100g dairy free margarine
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml soya milk (or any dairy free milk alternative)
- 2 eggs
- 125g blackberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160C /150C Fan Oven /Gas 4
- Line a muffin tin with cases.
- Melt the margarine in microwave and set aside to cool.
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Rinse the blackberries thoroughly.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add milk to the margarine and then add eggs and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and sugar and mix well.
- Fold the blackberries into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cases using a jug or ladle.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from Gimme the Recipe Blueberry Muffins
dairy free kids http://dairyfreekids.ie/
Joining this week’s #FreeFromFridays with this recipe.