We are big fans of banana bread in this house, and this slight variation which has more of a brown bread feel, was borne out of a shortage of plain flour. Inspired by banana bread recipe which I got from Sinead from Bumbles of Rice.
Half and Half Banana Bread
A wholemeal banana bread, a more filling version of the old favourite.
- 200 g Plain Flour
- 100 g Wholemeal Flour
- 150 g Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp . baking powder
- 2 tsp . bread soda
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 170C Fan Oven/ 350F / Gas 4.
- Grease and line two 2lb loaf tins.
- Mix flours, baking powder, bread soda, salt, vanilla seeds and sugar in a large bowl.
- Blend eggs, oil and banana well and then fold in dry ingredients in stages and blend with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour half of mixture into each loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve on its own or with your favourite dairy free spread or jam.
This banana loaf is suitable for freezing.
Allow to cool completely before freezing, and defrost fully before eating.
Joining this week’s #FreeFromFridays with this recipe.
I am thrilled to be shortlisted in Blog Awards Ireland 2015. If you have 2 minutes I would really appreciate your vote!