I made this ginger Christmas tree cake with lemon drizzle icing last year for Where Wishes Come From Craft Advent Blog series. I had forgotten to share it here and am delighted to say it’s dairy-free. The boys loved making and eating this last year, it didn’t last long at all! The Christmas Tree tin I have is quite small (700ml) so the amounts in the cake are tiny, but double and triple it as necessary if you’ve a bigger tin.
75g self raising flour
65g golden syrup
50g caster sugar
30g dairy-free margarine
1/2 tsp bread soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch mixed spice
Pinch of salt
65ml dairy-free milk alternative
For the icing:
50g icing sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 lemons
You will also need a Christmas Tree cake mold or tin.
- Grease a Christmas Tree shaped tin. Preheat the oven to 170C/ Fan 160C.
- Melt golden syrup and margarine over a medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sieve flour, bread soda and spices into a bowl, add sugar and salt. Stir well, then add beaten egg and milk and stir until smooth.
- Slowly add melted syrup/margarine mix.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. You will know it’s done when you press down and it pops back up.
- Cool on a wire rack.
To Make Icing:
- In a bowl combine the icing sugar and lemon zest, stir thoroughly. Add lemon juice until you have a thin icing.
- Drip the icing over and back across the Christmas tree cake. Allow to cool and then repeat until all the icing is used.
If you are giving this as a Christmas gift, allow icing to harden, place on a dish or board and wrap in cellophane with lovely red ribbons.