Carbonara is one of my favourite dishes, I had stopped making it as the boys can’t have it. I decided to have a go at a dairy free version and I was pleasantly surprised. I think the secret is plenty of garlic to make it extra zingy.
I used a recipe from thehedonista.com with a few small tweaks.
You will need:
- 200g Pasta (I used brown fusilli)
- 200g bacon, trimmed and chopped
- Head of broccoli
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 teasp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and paprika to taste
- chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta as normal. I added chopped broccoli to the pasta at this stage and allowed it to cook with the pasta.
- Beat the egg yolks together with the oil. Then add the full egg and beat again.
- Fry the bacon and garlic in a little olive oil. Add paprika.
- Drain pasta, add to pan with bacon and garlic and stir well. .
- Take pan off heat. Pour over the egg mixture, taking care to stir quickly so it doesn’t scramble.
- Sprinkle over with some chopped parsley and serve.
Other vegetables you could add in:
- Fry some chopped mushrooms with the bacon and garlic.
- Grated courgette
- Petit pois
- Steamed asparagus
This was a big hit with everyone in our house.